Whether you are a participant, teacher, coach or an officer responsible for running a club, you will find information in the Swim England Insurance Centre about the insurance, included within your membership affiliation to Swim England, to protect you whilst you are taking part in our sport.
All individuals who take part in swimming and other acitivites recognised by Swim England*, either as administrators, coaches / teachers or participants, have a Duty of Care to ensure they do not cause injury or financial loss to anyone or damage to anyone's property.
Swim England members are covered by Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance policy arranged with Hiscox. This protects affiliated members, teachers and coaches, officials and clubs if held responsible and are negligent for causing injury to someone else or damage to someone's property whilst undertaking swimming and other activities recognised by Swim England.
Swim England members also benefit from a basic Personal Accident insurance - This 'no fault' benefit provides cover to Swim England members for death and permanent total disablement injury whilst taking part in swimming, diving and aquatic activities recognised by Swim England.
Club committees also benefit from Directors & Officers Insurance and Commercial Legal Advice and Expenses to assist in the daily running of the club.
Below you will find a comprehensive list of FAQs answered in the Swim England Insurance Centre. If your query is not answered, please contact Howden ^.
- What is the procedure if an accident has occurred?
- What is the procedure if the club needs to make a Liability claim?
- What is the procedure if club member has injured themselves and needs to make a personal accident claim?
- Is a club member insured to teach within the club?
- Do we need to have a lifeguard present during a club training session?
- Is the club insured to run land training sessions?
- Are club members insured whilst participating in triathlon events or training?
- Are club members insured for loss or damage to personal items?
- As a club officer will I be liable for any financial loss that the club may incur?
- Does the insurance cover the clubs equipment?
- Are clubs insured for fund raising activities?
- As a Swim England swimming club are we insured to train and compete in open water?
- Does the club need extra insurance if they are paying staff?
- Is the club covered if the pool is closed for a period of time?
- What information do I need to record when an accident occurs?
- Do we need extra insurance to cover our swim / tuck shop?
- Are club members covered whilst training / competing abroad?
- Does the club need extra insurance to cover training camps / competitions either at home or abroad?
- Are we required to complete risk assessments for all club activities?
- Are spectators at events / training sessions covered for loss or injury?
- Are we able to make a claim if a club member injures a non-club member?
- If a level 2 teacher is unexpectedly not available (e.g. due to illness) are we able to hold our Learn to Swim Session with a level 1 teacher in attendance?
- Do we need to ensure the club has an accident book available at all times or are we ok to use the facilities accident book and request a copy of the incident report?
- Are members covered if injured by a member of the public whilst carrying out club duties?
- Why do we need Employers Liability cover if all our coaches are volunteers or self employed?
- Why do we need Abuse cover?
- Is there a time limit to make a Liability claim?
- Is there a time limit to make a Personal Accident claim?
- As a club member can I make a claim directly with Howden?
* Insured recognised club activities, include:
- training for and competitive swimming (including open water swimming/polo/diving)
- administrative activities
For full details, please view the Authorised & Recognised Activities page.
Please refer to the governing bodies for details of the approved activities or to establish if an activity you wish to undertake is acceptable. Some activities may need to be reviewed by the Swim England Safety Forum and referred to insurers.
^ Howden is a trading name of Howden UK Group Limited, part of the Hyperion Insurance Group. Howden UK Group Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of general insurance business. Registered in England and Wales under company registration number 725875. Registered Office: 16 Eastcheap, London EC3M 1BD. Calls may be monitored and recorded for quality assurance purposes.
FAQ Information Views: 1011 Keywords: Created: 11.02.2018 Updated: 11.02.2018
IoS membership insurance provides individual cover. This covers an IoS member as a teacher or a coach. It is not business insurance. Your insurance cover is valid providing you have the approved qualifications in place from an accredited training provider.
Also note: We recommend you have a lifeguard qualification. If the pool operator lifeguard is absent at the time that an incident occurs in your lesson or coaching session, then your insurance is invalid if you don't have a relevant lifesaving qualification.
Please check out the RLSS site for National Pool Lifeguard approved qualifications.
View important guidance for Clubs and Coaches for Open Water.
FAQ Information Views: 580 Keywords: Created: 24.11.2018 Updated: 28.06.2019