Figure Grade 1Since January 2017, Swim England Synchronised Swimming has run a three-strand award system for athletes; Figure Grades, Routine Grades and Land Grades.
As you progress as an artistic swimmer you will need to have your grades tested before you can enter certain competitions.
There are six artistic swimming grades which provide an increasing test of ability for athletes on their age group figures.
These grades support swimmer long term athlete development (LTAD) and ensure each athlete performs to their very best standard before moving to their next grade.
Each grade has three levels (gold, silver and bronze) so all athletes have the ability to perfect their figures before moving to the next grade.
The Swim England Synchro Figure Grade 1 focuses on positions and basic positions in artistic swimming.
Swimmers will be required to perform 10 elements to judges. Each grade has three levels (gold, silver and bronze) so all athletes have the ability to perfect their figures before moving to the next grade.
To view full descriptions of synchronised swimming basic positions (BP), basic movements (BM) and figures (Fig), download the FINA artistic swimming manual..
10 Elements to Synchro Figure Grade 1
- Stationary back layout held for five seconds (BP 1).
- Front layout (BP 2) followed by 1metre reverse scoop scull.
- Front pike position (BP 10).
- Hanging vertical (BP 6 ).
- Back layout to bent knee position returning to back layout (BP14b).
- Inverted split position.
- Back layout to back pike position (BP 11).
- Back tuck somersault (Fig 310 – DD 1.1).
- Fishtail position (BP 8).
- Split position on land – right leg and left leg. Both legs must be attempted.
Synchro Figure Grade 1 Video Demonstrations (10)
Remember these four mandatory requirements in all elements.
- Extension must be evident throughout.
- Toes and feet must be pointed.
- Effective and smooth sculling.
- All figures should be stable and controlled.
- other Figure Grades
- Routine Grades which compliment the figure grades and ensure athletes are developing their transitions, speed of movement and hybrids ready for solos, teams and routines as they develop
- Land Grades which compliment the figure and routine grades, ensure athletes are developing core strength, flexibility and speed of movement on land which transfer to the pool through figures and routines. The five Land Grade Awards help athletes develop their core strength, flexibility and speed of movement on land, which transfer to the pool for the synchro skills in figures and routines. The Awards are progressive, and designed to help make the transition from the Swim England Aquatic Skills Framework Stages 8-10 Synchro right the way to a high performing club level synchronised swimmer. The ‘Guide to Marking Levels’ document will provide further clarification on these skills.
- Resources in the Swim England Synchro website