Swim England South West Region Open Water Championships 2019

Post Publication Note: View SW Region Open Water National Qualification opportunity following SW Open Water Championships postponement. 

The document below from Sue Dors, Chair of Swim England South West Open Water Committee, has been sent by Kelly Podbury, Competition Manager (kellypods07@gmail.com), to all competitors and by Anastacia Pereira to the officials.

Download a copy for Club Notice Boards and to share within your networks. Please ensure the relevant people in your Club, your County President and Secretary and relevant website administrators are aware.

Dear competitors, parents, supporters, coaches, officials and volunteers,
It is with regret that the Regional Open Water Committee have decided to postpone the Swim England South West Region Open Water Championships due to take place on Saturday 6 July 2019. 
The health and safety of all competitors and the legal responsibility of the Region is paramount. Unfortunately the recent poor weather has resulted in a current water temperature of 14°.  FINA regulations require a minimum of 16°C at 40cms below the surface.   Those with local knowledge consider a 2° rise unlikely. The committee also took into account that a decision made now would lessen the costs that all those involved in this event could incur with shorter notice.
The committee’s prime concern is to ensure that age group swimmers who were using this event as a pathway to qualification for the Swim England National Open Water Championships do still have this opportunity and the Chair and Secretary of the Open Water Committee are currently in contact with Swim England and other Regions to try and address this.  If you are one of these swimmers please could you let the Competition Manager know as soon as possible so we have an idea of numbers.
The Region remains committed to holding its 2019 Championships which incorporate the County Championships of Cornwall, Dorset, Gloucester, Somerset and Wilts and will be trying to find an alternative date during an August/September weekend.  However this is very much dependant on the availability of our officials, volunteers and partners that supply catering, first aid, boats and canoes. 
Further details including refund of monies will be published as quickly as possible.  Thank you for your understanding and co-operation in this matter.

Our thanks go to Kelly, Virginia, Anastacia and the Committee for the work they have put in. If you have any queries, please contact If you get any queries please contact Sue Dors (sue@latifa-estates.co.uk)


News to @SomersetASA
Facebook Messenger Messenger Link
Send to Whatsapp Whatsapp
Send to SMS Send SMS
Print Print
Acrobat PDF