Proposed Closure of Cresta Pool Chard – Local Democracy in Action
Three options were presented to a packed public meeting held at St Mary’s Church on 9 August 2018 to discuss Somerset County Council's proposal to close Cresta Swimming Pool in Chard,
- Do nothing
- The pool is mothballed pending a new solution.
- Find enough money and volunteers to keep it open which "although it is challenging, it is possible".
There was unanimous support for option 3 and the meeting closed with people going to sign up for the areas in which they can volunteer – training, reception, cleaning, maintenance, legal expertise, business help, swim clubs, fundraising ideas etc.
Somerset ASA County Secretary Fiona Bowen attended the meeting in support of our clubs and members.
We wish to thank
- Councillor Amanda Broome for organising the meeting,
- Somerset Live Local Democracy Reporter Daniel Mumby for covering the meeting extensively in this live thread on his twitter feed,
- BBC Somerset's programme editor and presenters Claire Carter and James Craig for their coverage of the meeing on the 10 Aug show.
BBC News - Community could buy Chard swimming pool for £1 https://t.co/AXXDxl9YhM— Somerset ASA (@SomersetASA) 10 August 2018