ASA Level 2 British Open Water Swimming Coach course commencing July 2018
Venues are opening up and water temperatures normally start to rise from May onwards. If you are a club or coach you will need to make sure you have someone suitably qualified to take the swimmers out of the pool and into this new and exciting environment. You have several options to make this happen:
- Ask the venue if they provide qualified coaching and ‘hire’ a coach
- Enrol the coach on an open water coaching course.
The course below is for anyone with an interest in open water who holds a level 2 teaching qualification or a level 2/3 coaching qualification.
Start Date: 21 July 2018
Closing date for applications: 8 July 2018
Tutors: Elizabeth Janet Slack, Robert Moore
Available Places: 12
You must be at least 17 years of age at the start of the course.
In order to attend this course, Learners must be holders of either:
- ASA UKCC Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Swimming (QCF) or equivalent
- ASA Level 2 Swimming Teaching or equivalent with coaching or open water experience
- 1st4Sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Triathlon (QCF) or equivalent
Please contact the IoS if you have any queries with regards to pre-requisite qualifications.
222 OW - Principles of Swimming in Open Water
223 OW - Save and effective planning and preparation for open water swimming
224 OW - Innovative delivery of open water swimming sessions
It is expected that a level of knowledge realting to coaching ,and experience of open water swimming, is already attained by learners attending this course. If you feel that your knowledge and experience may not be sufficient for the level of this course then please contact IoS Customer Service Team on 01509 640640 to discuss.
This is a Blended Learning programme which means that learners complete some units online.
Bookings for this course close on 8 July 2018. You will be granted access to the e-learning core units workspace on 21 July 2018, hosted by IoS partner system PebblePad - an industry leading e-Portfolio system.
Course dates, venues and times:
- Day 1 (21 July from 8am to 7pm): PFP Leisure - Trowbridge Sports Centre, Wiltshire
- Day 2 (22 September from 8am to 6pm): Vobster Quay, Upper Vobster BA3 5SD
In the unlikely event that the IoS will need to cancel the second face to face assessment day due to bad weather, you will be invited to attend an alternative course to complete assessment.
*Please note that any course bookings made after 8 July 2018 will include a £20.00 late booking fee.*
The ASA Level 2 Award in British Open Water Swimming (QCF) qualification is aimed at Level 2 Swimming or Triathlon Coaches who want to acquire specialist knowledge delivering open water swimming sessions to a range of participants.
This qualification is nationally recognised and has been developed based on National Occupational Standards (NOS) for coaching. These standards are a series of statements which describe what competent swimming coaches should do as part of their role in the Coaching environment. They cover all main aspects of the occupation, including knowledge and understanding that underpins competent performance.
The Guided Learning Hours for this course is 50. Approximately 16 hours will be spent on face to delivery and then a further 35 hours (approximately) of online learning and assessment and your lesson planning and evaluations etc.
Assessment is through e-learning portfolio submissions, plus two face to face attendance days and assessment. The first face to face day will be within a simulated pool environment and the second at an outdoor venue of your choice.
Upon successful completion of the qualification, learners should be able to:
- Understand open water swimming participation
- Understand the sport specific skills in open water swimming
- Know about relevant equipment related to swimming in open water
- Understand the structure of open water swimming sessions
- Understand the coach-participant relationship for open water swimming sessions
- Understand the health and safety considerations and good practice for open water swimming
- Know how to manage risk in relation to delivering open water swimming sessions
- Be able to plan a series of Open Water sessions
- Be able to conduct effective Open Water swimming sessions
- Be able to monitor participants performance during an open water swimming session
- Be able to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of delivery and own performance
If you are successful in obtaining this qualification, you are eligible to seek coaching roles through employment or volunteering opportunities.
You should look to develop your learning and knowledge of this discipline by working with other, more senior qualified, experienced, licensed coaches.
Your personal development options include
- To undertake some of the professional development seminars offered by the IoS or British Triathlon
- To undertake the Swim England Senior Swimming Coach Qualification or Level 3 Coaching Triathlon qualification
- Speak with your Swim England Regional Develoment Officer for Open Water to discuss opportunities to attend the Open Water Development Camp as a Coach.
To gain access to course resources please log in or book on the course.
This course provides all units for the following qualification: ASA Level 2 Award Coaching Open Water Swimming (QCF)
Book your place