Welcome to our site. We hope you enjoy your visit.
Somerset ASA Swimming Championships 2023
Thank you to everyone who supported the first of seven days of County Swimming Championships on 22 Jan in which swimmers put their short course racing skills to the test.
Get ready to experience more thrilling, heart-pumping, edge-of-your-seat action! Long course racing sessions are being held over the next three weekends!
Programs for 29 Jan 2023
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session report Days 2 to 7
- Spreadsheet of volunteer sign-ups as at 7.52pm on Thu 26 Jan
The ratios of volunteers and officials from your Club to its competitors entered in any Session should really be a matter of pride and not huge embassment for your Club. If you think others do not notice, they do.
Please can all Clubs and Club contacts get the message out now to step up and volunteer to fill the gaps on the roster NOW.
Otherwise we're unsure how you or anyone else can expect
- Somerset can still run a meet like this safely, or
- Spectators even expect to gain admittance to the venue, or
- Spectators not to face long queues in near 0°C temperatures, or
- Results to go onto rankings, or
- The program to still run to time
Come on Somerset Clubs and Club members, we can and should be better than this.
Sessions are otherwise seriously at risk. No volunteers equals no meet.
Our 2023 event is not being live streamed so unless you join us as a spectator at Millfield, the only way to follow results of all the races live will be via your subscription to Active.com's Meet Mobile app. Please note Heat sheets and Meet Mobile will show timings. Success!
This news item with information as at 29 Dec 2022 confirmed entries for all meet sessions with session reports for Days 2 to 7 and the corrected Warm Up document.. The Meet Conditions are available to view here.
Please view an update from Chris Metcalfe on the Officials we need to support the event. Click here to sign up to officiate
Clip: Spectating at our County Championships! Please have the exact change ready to give us to minimise queueing for admission. Day passes for 28 or 29 Jan are £4 for adults, and £6 for the weekend's pass. View Spectator Notice.
The warm-up rules and protocols apply equally to ALL competing Clubs and competitors.
Upcoming Swim England and Regional Workshops
Club Role Descriptions
View Swim England guides to the most common aquatics club roles which will help Swim England clubs support their volunteers in carrying out their duties.
Help Us Make a Difference in 2023
Your County Association is currently recruiting for the following volunteer roles to engage, guide, support and utilise the respective and unique talents of the Volunteer Co-ordinators and Welfare Officers in our Clubs:
- County Volunteer Co-ordinator
- County Welfare Officer.
There cannot be a mismatch between saying we want participation in aquatic sports and our Clubs to be safe and for volunteers to be recruited, supported and valued if our members then do not or cannot fill roles such as these. Our Management Board needs help from people like you right now.
Please get in touch if you can help and want us to have a future.
Please click on a panel heading below for more details, or click again to close an open panel.
Clip: How you can support your age group swimmer.
Each athlete on our talent programme is unique. Skills Coaches supporting our Programmes are sharing what is being covered in the online and face to face camps with the swimmers' home club coaches. This is seen as vital for coach buy-in to the programme and for its future success.
Next Face to Face Camp date: 21 May 2023 at Millfield.
Next online camp date: 25 Feb 2023 at 10am - 1.5 hr duration
Please follow the CDP link.
View stream replays, programme, results and reports where available from:
- Ontario Junior International 2022 (16 t0 18 Dec, Toronto) report
- Swim Wales Winter Championships 2022 (16 to 18 Dec, Swansea) reports
- FINA World Swimming Championships (25m) 2022 (13 to 18 Dec, Melbourne) reports and results: Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5 | Day 6
- Scottish National Short Course Championships 2022 (9 to 11 Dec, Edinburgh) report
- Swim England National Winter Championships (25m) 2022 (2 to 4 Dec, Ponds Forge) reports: Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3
- British Para-Swimming Winter National Meet 2022 (26/27 Nov, Glasgow) report
- British Down Syndrome Swimming Championships 2022 (19/20 Nov, Crawley) report
- BUCS Short Course Championships 2022 (18 to 20 Nov, Ponds Forge) results
- 64th ESSA Secondary Schools' Team Championships (19 Nov, London Aquatics Centre) results
- Swim England Artistic Swimming National Masters Championships 2022 (12 Nov, Nottingham) results
- FINA Marathon Swim World Series 2022 Leg 5 (11-12 Nov, Eilat) results
- Swim England South West Winter Championships (25m) 2022 (4-6 Nov, Millfield) results.
- FINA Swimming World Cup 2022 SC (3-5 Nov, Indianapolis) results
- FINA Swimming World Cup 2022 SC (28-30 Oct, Toronto) results
- Swim England Masters National Championships (25m) 2022 (28-30 Oct, Sheffield) results
- FINA Swimming World Cup 2022 SC (21-23 Oct, Berlin) results
- National County Team Championships 2022 Division 1 (2 Oct, Sheffield)
Div 1 featured Somerset, Div 2
- 8th FINA World Junior Swimming Championships (30 Aug to 4 Sep, Lima, Peru)
Schedule, results and streams
- European Aquatics Championships
- Swim England Open Water National Age Group Championships (10 Aug 2022, Rotherham)
- Swim England Speedo National Summer Meet 2022 (5 to 9 Aug 2022, Sheffield)
Reports from Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5
- Swim Wales Summer Open Meet (3 to 7 Aug, Swansea)
- Commonwealth Games (29 Jul to 3 Aug, Birmingham)
Swimming & Para-Swimming Reports from: Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5 | Day 6
- European Youth Artistic Swimming Championships (28 to 31 Jul, Montceau-les-Mines)
- European Youth Olympic Festival (25 to 29 Jul, Slovakia)
- British Summer Championships (22 to 28 Jul, Sheffield)
Reports from Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5 | Day 6
- Scottish Summer Meet (14 to 17 Jul, Aberdeen)
- European Junior Championships
- 19th FINA World Championships (Budapest 2022):
- Swim England South West Open Water Championships (2 Jul, Cotswold Water Park)
- World Para Swimming Championships (12 to 18 Jun. Madeira).
- Swim England South West Summer Championships (30 Apr, 1 & 2 May, Plymouth)
Age Groups: 23/24 Apr (Millfield), 7/8 May (Hengrove)
- Swim Wales National Championships (15 to 18 Apr, Swansea).
- Scottish National Age Group Championships (13 to 17 Apr, Glasgow)
- British Swimming Championships (5 to 10 Apr, Sheffield) Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5 | Day 6.
- Somerset ASA Championships (25m: 16 Jan, 50m: 22/23 /29/30 Jan, 5/6 Feb, Millfield).
Event list by session (opens in new window).
Reports: Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5 | (Day 6 and Day 7 to follow).
Apologies for any record holder dates, names and times on the Hy-tek print outs which may have been shown incorrectly.
25 Oct 2021 news item contained the Qualifying Times, Para-Swimming Multi-Classification QTs, the Event Programme and Entry Conditions.
[If there are any newsworthy omissions in the daily reports and analysis of many thousands of swims, it is unintentional. Please let us know if you spot any].
It’s that time of year when we issue a call for officials to support our County Championships and Age Group Competitions which are taking place in Jan & Feb 2023 at Millfield. This is the biggest event of the year for many young swimmers. Let’s make it a memorable one by ensuring our officials sign up in sufficient numbers to enable swimmers' times to go on rankings. Read more.
View updated Swimming Officials and Event Organiser Prompt Cards to be used from 1 Jan 2023.
View announcement re FINA / World Aquatics Swimming Rules 2023-2025 and note County Age Group Championships should be judged in their entirety under prevailing Swim England Laws, Regulations and Technical Rules of Swimming, WITHOUT reference to revised 2023-25 FINA Technical Rules.
If you would be interested in applying to officiate at the ESSA 72nd Inter-Divisional Championships, please use the below link to register.
Please note that all officials will need to hold a current in-date Swim England license for this event.
With a lot of Somerset clubs seeking to license their championships or running Meets, please contact us if you are ever short of officials so we can publicise any opportunities via our website and social media.
A lot changed in tech in 2022. Despite the challenging environment for social media, in 2022 we exceeded 2019’s previous highest annual vistor numbers to our website by 4.6% but fell 2.2% short of its total page views.
The graph of site unique visitor numbers (green) and page views (blue) from 2016 to 31 Dec 2022 highlights the impact of Covid-19.
Image: Our 2022 search performance results.
You can enjoy over 7500 articles, often with multimedia, in our news archive. In addition there are over 3300 curated videos in the library on our website which in total have racked up millions of views. You don’t have to be sick to get better.
We do still post social media updates but our use of Twitter is currently paused for safeguarding reasons until the platform’s moderation and compliance standards improve (see Washington Post article). Check what your Club is tweeting about. Thank you for sharing content on our own timelines.