If videos are not displayed automatically, please check your browser plugins settings.
Cleveland Pools, Bath. Video One
Video cannot be displayed, please restart in external playerStart video in external player
|Duration||8 Minutes 46 Seconds|
|Description||Hidden away in Bathwick, on the banks of the River Avon, is the country’s only surviving Georgian lido. Built in 1815 in the shape of a small crescent, it was one of the earliest examples of a ‘Subscription Pool’ – built with private money for public use. For decades the formerly-named ‘Cleveland Pleasure Pools’ were a favourite summer destination of generations of people from Bath and beyond. By 1861 this glorious open-air venue had become so popular that the Victorians added a children’s upper pool. Sadly the Pools closed in 1984 when public funds were re-directed to the sports centre, but now the Cleveland Pools Trust - in partnership with the Prince’s Regeneration Trust, English Heritage and Bath & North East Somerset Council (B&NES) - is finally making headway with its campaign to restore the Grade II* baths and reclaim them for outdoor swimming. This series of videos follows the regeneration progress. All videos will be edited to include a descriptive narration.|