Somerset ASA is very pleased to retain our own medical advisor, Dr. Harriet Collins, who has attended our Talent Development Camps giving advice and information to swimmers and parents alike.
Dr. Collins has produced a number of factsheets that you or your club may find useful, which you will find below. Why not e-mail Dr. Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like advice or help with your club? You'll need to read the factsheet first:
What is Sports Massage?
A discipline of using massage for the specific benefit of all sports and exercise participants. It covers the management, manipulation and rehabilitation of the soft tissues of the body e.g. muscles, ligaments and tendons.
Benefits of Sports Massage:
- Improve Circulation and Lymphatic Flow
- Sedate or Stimulate Nerve Endings
- Increase or Decrease Muscle Length
- Assist in Mental Preparation for Sporting Participation
- Assist in the Removal of Metabolic Waste
- Increase or Decrease Muscle Tone
- Remodel Scar Tissue when Required
Sports Massage can be Beneficial at Various Stages of Participation:
- The conditioning/ Training Phase
- Inter Competition
- Post Travel
- Injury Recovery
- Pre Competition
- Post Competition
- Injury Prevention (Sports Massage Association).
Pre Event Sports Massage:
- Provides competitors with the feelings of: Invigoration and Readiness for the Event.
- It will warm and loosen up the muscular system, as well as sharpen the neurological system.
- This part of the massage will last usually between 3-10 minutes for each competitor.
- This session plays a vital role in the psychological preparation for the event by concentrating the mind on a state of readiness.
Post Event Sports Massage:
- Helps the athlete recover from the event.
- Massage will: release and loosen muscle tissues: speed up the removal of lactic acid (waste products): help alleviate the effects of muscle soreness.
- This session will last usually around 10 minutes for each competitor.
Days After the Event:
- Hourly sessions at a fixed price are available in the comfort of your own home (See Sports Massage page).
- A Sports Massage Session will: Reduce aches and pains: remove DOMS; remove swelling; help prevent injuries; and relaxation.